Enterprise Council Learning Journey to Kenya
Tentative Itinerary – June 5-13, 2020
Visit KickStart’s Innovations Hub.
Meet farmers who are using Kickstart’s MoneyMaker pumps.
Enjoy a game drive at Nairobi National Park.
(Photo: Giraffe, CC by 2.0, by Przemek Więch)
A trip designed to spotlight philanthropy and development intervention through social enterprise, from an on-the-ground perspective.
HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDE: Visiting KickStart’s HQ and Product Intelligence & Design Hub, meeting both rural & urban farmers in Western/Eastern Kenya, joining an Agroprenuership Training, embarking on a Safari.
- Friday, June 5: Depart for Kenya.
- Saturday, June 6: Arrive at Jomo Kenyatta International in Nairobi, Kenya and check-in to the Sankara Hotel. Enjoy a restful afternoon and attend a welcome happy hour and dinner to become acquainted with fellow travelers.
- Sunday, June 7 – Explore Nairobi: Experience Kenya’s rich and diverse culture at the local Maasai Market – an open-air market where you can buy all your souvenirs and gifts…if you’re up for bargaining! The market boasts an exciting blend of Kenyan crafts, including sculptures, jewelry, clothing, textiles, and paintings. Meet a local supplier of KickStart’s irrigation tools on the way back to your hotel. Spend the evening enjoying live music and getting a taste of Nairobi’s arts and culture.
- Monday, June 8 – Field Visit, Urban Farmers: The day kicks off with a welcome breakfast at your hotel where you will meet the KickStart team in Kenya. After receiving a briefing on the week’s itinerary, head out to visit farmers who are using KickStart’s irrigation tools to transform their own lives. Spend the afternoon touring their farms and helping them care for their crops. Get to know their families, whose futures are brighter, thanks to your support.
- Tuesday, June 9 – PID & Farmer Training: Make a morning visit to KickStart’s Innovations Hub, which develops new and appropriately designed product, marketing, training, and finance innovations. Tour the research and development workshop, learn about the history, and meet product innovations and field innovations staff. After lunch, experience how KickStart builds capacity of farmers and partner organizations by participating in an Agropreneurship training, led by our Master Trainer.
- Wednesday, June 10 – Field Visit, Rural Farmers: Head out to visit farmers in rural areas of Western Kenya who are using KickStart’s irrigation tools to transform their own lives. Spend the afternoon touring their farms and villages, learning how agriculture micro-enterprises can stimulate the economies of entire communities.
- Thursday, June 11 – Safari: Experience local wildlife at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust Elephant Orphanage, one of the pioneering conservation organizations for wildlife and habitat protection in East Africa. Enjoy a game drive at Nairobi National Park, where you will catch a glimpse of lions, leopards, wildebeest, zebras, giraffes, and the critically endangered black rhino. Enjoy breathtaking views of the wildlife over farewell dinner at The Big Five Restaurant at Ole-Sereni, located along Nairobi National Park. Reflect on what you learned and experienced on this learning journey with the group.
- Friday, June 12: Depart for home or any extensions can be coordinated upon request.