KickStart International is seeking an experienced, entrepreneurial, and enthusiastic Senior Development Manager to join our Development team.
About the Organization:
KickStart-International www.kickstart.org is an award-winning, nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to lift millions of people in Africa out of poverty. They do this by designing and mass-marketing human-powered irrigation pumps. These low-cost pumps are bought by poor local farmers who use them to water their crops year-round rather than waiting for the unreliable rain that only comes for a few months out of the year. They grow and sell high value crops throughout the year—especially in the long dry “hungry” seasons when the prices are highest—and on average increase their net annual incomes by over $700. For the first time they can properly feed and educate their children, afford healthcare and plan for their futures. To date, more than 240,000 farming families have used MoneyMaker pumps to climb out of poverty.
KickStart and its Co-Founders are Skoll Social Entrepreneur Awardees and Schwab Foundation awardees as well as Forbes Magazine’s “Impact 30 List” as one of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs in 2011. Additionally, the U.S. Department of State presented KickStart with the first-ever Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women and Girls in 2012.
About the Position:
KickStart is seeking a Senior Development Manager based in New York City. This position will report to the Business Operations Manager, and work in close collaboration with the Development Team to build relationships with, and secure gifts from, individual and institutional donors and family foundations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Donor Cultivation & Stewardship (35%):
- Work closely with the Business Operations Manager to achieve topline revenue targets
- Own a personal revenue target; manage and grow a portfolio of donor and prospect relationships; conduct face-to-face meetings with donors, including direct gift solicitations throughout the year
- Support the Development team in identifying donors and prospects to move up along the pipeline into recurring giving cycles, upgrades, and major gifts programs.
- Coordinate donor cultivation activities (e.g., phone calls, meetings, field visits, etc.), including preparing senior staff and board members, documenting notes, and following up on next steps
- Assist in monitoring and managing the prospect pipeline—actively moving potential donors in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and gift closure
- Develop and execute the fundraising strategy, concept, and materials for all annual and special appeals
- Prepare customized grant proposals, reports, acknowledgement letters and handwritten notes, and other stewardship communications as appropriate, for major donors, family foundations, and institutions
Enterprise Council (30%):
- Work with the Development Associate to build out and maintain a major gifts program “The Enterprise Council”; manage next steps in donor cultivation and stewardship activities for members and prospects in partnership with other team members; implement personalized stewardship plans for donors to move them up the giving ladder
Special Events & Donor Communications (30%)
- Work with the Development Associate to manage fundraising events around donor cultivation and stewardship, including:
- Cultivation and stewardship events for the Enterprise Council
- Providing general support to Board members, donors, and partners who host events
- Curating work-plans and runs of show with input from senior staff, Board members, and members of the Enterprise Council
- Creating event budgets and fundraising strategies; securing in-kind and cash donations and sponsorship
- Developing and implementing post-event follow-up plans
- Work with the Development Associate to manage KickStart’s online and print communications strategy and design to increase awareness and advance fundraising goals, with the exception of social media and quarterly newsletter. This includes but is not limited to updating content on the website, and executing the creation of the annual report, seasonal fundraising appeals, and general communications templates and collateral.
- Manage KickStart’s communications dashboard in partnership with Development Associate.
- Support Development Associate in crafting social media content and strategy that supports the broader communications strategy.
- Work with Development Associate to capture impact stories and convey them through written and visual content for donors, including:
- Marketing collateral
- Appeal letters
- Email campaigns
- Greeting cards
Data Management and Analysis (5%)
- Utilize eTapestry donor database to manage workflow and track activity with donors and prospects
- Work with Development Associate to optimize the usage of the donor database
- Pull reports and queries as needed to conduct giving history and appeal analyses.
Other duties as KickStart evolves and as needed
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5 – 7 years of direct fundraising experience
- Experience with direct marketing and/or online fundraising a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Entrepreneurial attitude, proven success in building something from scratch, results driven
- Experience living or working in Africa or a developing world setting preferred
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, including compelling, clear and jargon-free writing abilities
- Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills
- Sophistication and poise with the intellectual depth to speak convincingly to donors in-person and by phone
- Detail orientated and very well organized
- Self-starter with a passion for working collaboratively with a small team
- Ability to thrive and deliver results in an unstructured and dynamic environment
- Adept at using technology and comfortable using Microsoft Office, Blackbaud eTapestry, online fundraising platforms, and social media
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work early in the morning, late in the evening, or occasional weekends depending on work requirements
- Emotional maturity and a very good sense of humor
- Commitment to KickStart’s mission, purpose and values, and to its methodology.
How to Apply
To apply, kindly email your cover letter and resume, with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com. We will review resumes as they come in and the position will be open until filled.