Current Job Openings
Senior Training Coordinator-Nairobi, Kenya
KickStart International prides itself in being an award-winning, global nonprofit social enterprise that develops and mass- markets low-cost irrigation solutions that are bought by thousands of small-holder farmers in developing countries and used to increase their income by up to a factor of ten, enabling them to lift themselves sustainably out of poverty. (See www.KickStart.org for more information).
FUNCTION: Programs and Partnerships LOCATION :KickStart HQ Office - Nairobi
GRADE: TYPE OF CONTRACT: Open Ended
The Senior Training Coordinator will help KickStart’s sales teams to develop and build partnerships with NGOs, governments and private sector partners who are organizing and working with small-holder farmers across Africa.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Country Director-Head of Partnerships and Sales
Staff directly reporting to this post:
Works with: Regional Sales and Partnerships Managers, Sales and Partnership officers, Small holder farmers, NGOS /Partners.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Training of Trainers and/or Training of Small-Holder Farmers, on:
• The set-up, operation, use and maintenance of KickStart’s MoneyMaker pumps and accessory irrigation products
• Every stage of planting, cultivating, soil fertility needs, pest and disease management, harvesting, processing and selling high value irrigated crops—especially fruits, vegetables, green maize, cocoa, etc. Including:
o Deciding what crops to plant and irrigate to meet the local market demand, the best timing for planting/harvesting these crops and the amount and type of irrigation required soil fertility, pests and diseases to watch for at various stages
o The selection and storage of planting materials;
o Preparation/establishment of seed beds and planting, spacing, irrigating, cultivating and transplanting of seedlings;
o Land preparation, planting, cultivation, weeding, harvesting of the final crops and processing
o Preparation and use of compost and the selection and efficient use of inorganic fertilizers
o Intercropping, crop rotation and sequenced planting
o Detection and control of plant diseases and pests using both Integrated Pest Management and relevant chemical pesticides;
o The optimum use of different types of irrigation technologies including; watering cans, hand-held sprayers/hosepipe irrigation, basin and furrow irrigation, sprinklers, low pressure drip-irrigation, etc.
o Post-harvest handling, storage and transport of high value horticultural crops
o Efficient and effective marketing methods especially bulk marketing of crops.
• As KickStart expands its training offerings; recruit, train and manage a small team of agricultural trainers to be employed by KickStart either fulltime or on a case-by-case basis
Develop and Implement Training Offerings for NGOs/Partners
• Help KickStart’s sales teams to develop and build partnerships with NGOs, governments and private sector partners who are organizing and working with small-holder farmers across Africa.
• Understand the mission and goals of the organizations and identify their relevant training needs.
• Identify training gaps that can be filled by KickStart and those that can be outsourced and liaise with the partners (and if necessary with outsourced providers) to help facilitate the provision of the trainings.
• Develop training plans and schedules, and develop realistic budgets for the provision of the required training programs
• Organize the schedule and logistics for conducting training-of-trainers and/or farmer trainings in diverse surroundings across Africa and in collaboration with partner NGOs/businesses
• Prepare PowerPoint materials tailor made for the staff of NGOs/Corporate partners that capture the problem facing their farmers, KickStart's mission and how KickStart addresses or helps farmers to earn increased incomes and mitigate poverty through the use of MoneyMaker products to change their lives.
• Develop relevant training materials capturing key features and benefits/impacts of using our MoneyMaker pumps for farmers and for partners - including presentations, Flip Charts, posters and handouts.
• Conduct live demonstrations of KickStart’s irrigation products to trainers and/or lead farmers
• Implement the required training courses for the staff and lead-farmers working for the partner organizations.
• Develop relevant follow-up course curriculum and training materials.
• Develop a conducive system to evaluate the training and its impacts.
Training groups of farmers assisted by KickStart’s partners including groups of women and/or youth
• Identify the relevant training needs of the farmers thru farm visits, interviews and focus groups
• Prepare and develop training curriculum and training materials for courses ranging from; simple demonstrations/trainings on pump operation, maintenance and use; to short classroom and/or on-farm trainings; to multiple session trainings courses combining class-room and on-farm trainings, group exercises, practice sessions, homework assignments, etc
• Prepare the required training collateral including Power Point slides, printed Flip Books & take away materials for the famers for the different trainings
• Administer and teach all aspects of the training courses
• As required supervise and manage an assistant and/or a small team of trainers to train larger groups
• Develop and administer an evaluation process to measure the impacts of the trainings.
o Including administrating surveys and developing and administering questionnaires and leading focus group discussions with the farmers to measure/analyze the impacts of the trainings.
• Assist with writing proposals to donors/partners for the funding of training courses.
• Write reports to be shared with KS management, the partners and/or donors on the process and impacts of the trainings
• Collect and write-up case studies from training participants and especially on follow-up trainings to establish the impacts of the irrigation pumps and the trainings.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• A degree holder in Agriculture, Horticulture and/or Agronomy
• Seven (7) years relevant hands-on experience working with and training small-holder farmers and developing and administrating farmer and/or training-of-trainers training courses
• Excellent knowledge of all aspects of agronomy related to the cultivation (from land preparation, planting material selection to post harvest care and sale) of high value irrigated horticultural crops, including the use of organic and inorganic fertilizers and pest control, crop rotation, intercropping, etc
• Good understanding of the Agricultural sector and working with small scale farmers
• Excellent training skills including, needs assessment, course development, scheduling, collateral development, implementation of trainings and the training impacts
• People management experience in working with partners and managing a small team
• Results/Performance Orientation - proven “self-starter” who is flexible and adaptable with an entrepreneurship spirit.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
• Excellent personal communication & negotiation skills
• Good report writing and communication skills
• Strong analytical abilities and detail oriented
• Ability to speak fluent English and Swahili
• Ability to speak and read French and/or Portuguese will be an added advantage
• Ability and desire to work both across Kenya and across Africa—the job will require a lot of travel both within Kenya and across Africa (~75% travel time)
If you feel you are the right candidate to fill this position, please send your CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position title on the subject line by COB 31st December, 2014.
Manager, Institutional Fundraising (New York City)
KickStart International has an exciting opportunity for an experienced, entrepreneurial, and enthusiastic Manager to help us grow our Institutional Fundraising program.
About the Organization:
KickStart International www.kickstart.org is an award-winning, nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to lift millions of people in Africa out of poverty. They do this by designing and mass-marketing simple, “MoneyMaker” branded, human-powered irrigation pumps. These low-cost pumps are bought by poor local farmers who use them to irrigate their plots. The farmers move from rain-fed-subsistence farming to commercial irrigated agriculture. They grow and sell high value crops throughout the year—especially in the long dry “hungry” seasons when the prices are highest—and on average increase their farming income from irrigation from $150 to $850. For the first time, they can properly feed and educate their children, afford healthcare and plan for their futures. To date, more than 160,000 farming families have used MoneyMaker pumps to climb out of poverty.
KickStart was recognized as one of the “Top 100 Best NGOs in the World” in 2012 and 2013 by The Global Journal. The U.S. Department of State presented KickStart with the first-ever Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women and Girls in 2012. In 2011, Forbes named KickStart to their “Impact 30 List” as one of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. Fast Company Magazine and the Monitor Group awarded KickStart with a Social Capitalist Award in each of the years 2004-2008.
About the Position:
KickStart is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial development professional to expand its institutinoal fundraising program. The Manager of Institutional Fundraising will work closely with KickStart’s Director of External Relations, the CEO, and the rest of the development team to manage and grow a portfolio of instituinal funders, including but not limited to corporations, foundations, and governments. This position will work closely with other members of the Development team to develop goals and strategies for achieving fundraising targets, meet with donors and prospective donors to establish and deepen relationships, and contribute toward a balanced funding mix of donor sources tailored to KickStart’s financial needs to maintain and grow program operations. This position reports to the Director of External Relations and is based in New York City with occasional travel within the U.S., Europe and Africa.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work closely with development team to create multi-year strategies to increase KickStart’s income from institutional funderss toward the organization’s strategic goals
• Identify new donor prospects and implement strategic relationship development to secure new sources of funding from foundations, corporations, and government development agencies
• Develop and write compelling and impactful grant proposals and donor reports
• Steward existing donor relationships to ensure future funding opportunities
• Work with program teams to compile information and develop content for timely reports to institutional donors
• Conduct resaearch, define strategies and talking points for CEO and other senior KickStart staff to implement at major conferences and meetings that include attendance of donors and prospects
• Set up meetings at conferences as appropriate and track follow-up from those events
• Maintain and report on performance metrics towards goals
• Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree required
• 5+ years of significant experience and proven success in securing funding from foundations, corpoprations and governments
• Knowledge of international development and/or international agriculture and rural development
• Good understanding of the project management cycle to achieve results
• Experience living and working in sub-Saharan Africa or in a developing country in another part of the world prefered
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Entrepreneurial attitude, proven success in building a portfolio of instituional funders
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, including compelling, clear and jargon-free writing abilities
• Creative, critical and analytical thinker - able to co-design implementable projects with program teams
• Strong problem solving, research, and analytical skills
• Sophistication, poise, and intellectual depth to speak convincingly to donors in person and by phone
• Detail oriented and very well organized
• Self-starter with a passion for working collaboratively with a small team
• Ability to thrive and deliver results in an unstructured and dynamic environment
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, donor databases (i.e. Blackbaud eTapestry), and online fundraising platforms
• Flexible work schedule, ability to work on weekends, early in the morning or late in the evening depending on work requirements
• Emotional maturity and a very good sense of humor
• Passionate about international development and commitment to KickStart’s mission/business model.
How to Apply
To apply, kindly email your cover letter and resume, with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com by December 15, 2014. Please also indicate in your cover letter where you saw the job posting.
You Can Help
Increase a farming family's income from:
160,000 new businesses started to date.