Current Job Openings
Social Media Intern (unpaid)
About the Organization:
KickStart (www.kickstart.org) is a non-profit social enterprise with a mission to lift millions of people in Africa out of poverty, quickly, cost-effectively and sustainably. KickStart works by designing very low micro-irrigation pumps, and mass marketing them to very poor, but entrepreneurial African men and women, who buy them and use them to establish profitable small-scale family businesses.
To date, over 180,000 families in Africa have created profitable farming businesses, lifting more than 900,000 people out of poverty, and generating more than $150 Million in new profits and wages each year.
KickStart has been recognized and has won many international prizes/accolades. Some of these include:
• Awarded the 1st ever U.S. State Department’s Secretary’s Innovation Award for the Empowerment of Women & Girls, 2012
• Ranked #64 by the Global Journal “Top 100 Best NGOs in the World”, 2012
• Named one of Forbes 2011 “30 Top Social Entrepreneurs”
• The Lemelson-MIT Prize for Sustainability, 2008
• The Peter F. Drucker Award for NonProfit Innovation, 2008
• Fast Company Magazine’s ‘Social Capitalist’ Award 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Learn more by watching this video: https://vimeo.com/110787003
About the Position:
KickStart is currently looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, detail-oriented, part-time intern that will be responsible for developing material for their social media outlets (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter) based in New York City. The intern will help implement strategies to improve online marketing efforts, help grow an online following, and help develop creative posts. The ideal candidate would be enthusiastic, self-motivated, and possess a genuine interest in learning about non-profit communications. Interns are expected to have experience with social media on a personal level at least, but experience using social media on a business or non-profit level is preferred. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a unique non-profit focused on international development, sharpen your marketing and communications skills, and learn more about online marketing and fundraising. The position requires at least 6 hours of dedication per week, and will allow you to work from home on your own time once you are oriented with KickStart and the role. The position is unpaid, but academic credit is available.
• Generate regular engaging content for KickStart’s various social media outlets
• Monitor Twitter and seek out relevant articles to post and start conversations.
• Work with the team in New York to get stories and learn about our programs to create content
• Use design software to make creative graphics and posts
• Utilize social media to foster people’s desire to support the mission of KickStart
• Track the growth and impact of social media platforms.
• Other responsibilities as appropriate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Creative and with an eye for design
• Knowledge of digital media software - Photoshop or other graphic design software, etc.
• Highly proficient on social media platforms - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube
• A desire to come up with fresh ideas on how to grow our online presence
• Ability to identify a target market and “speak” to that consumer through social media
• Self motivated and have the ability to work independently
• Be responsible, hard-working, and committed to KickStart’s mission, purpose, and values
• Exceptional communication skills, written and verbal
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail
• Emotional maturity and a good sense of humor
• Familiarity and interest with the international development space preferred
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Social Media Intern” by September 6th.
Young Professionals Board Members - NYC
Join a group of passionate professionals on KickStart's Young Professionals Board. The Board will bring together individuals in the Greater New York City area who are committed to expanding KickStart's communications and fundraising efforts, and putting on events including a spring gala, ensuring that our programs on the ground thrive and families lift themselves out of poverty.
If interested, download and complete the application and submit it with your resume to Nia Chauvin at email@example.com by August 7th.
You Can Help
Increase a farming family's income from:
140,000 jobs created to date.